Saturday, June 17, 2006

Jesus (Hay-zeus) Part 3

Jesus (pronounced Hay-zeus) called me yesterday - out of the blue. We hadn't talked since our encounter at the eye doctor. I was surprised, but welcomed his call. He was having a tough time.

You may recall Jesus is a single dad with three teenagers at home. They moved here from Beaumont after having been displaced by Hurricane Rita. They were living on the edge to begin with - Jesus has moved around some and had just gotten settled in Beaumont when Rita took his only car and his job for several months. They decided to make a go of it here after fleeing the hurricae - and it has been tough. He finally found a part-time maintenance job, but lost it when the company cut back staffing again. It is brutally tough finding a job without transportation.

Jesus is trying to re-establish his family in a better home with subsidized rent - and that's why he called. I picked him up at the Salvation Army and went to look at the home with him he was trying to rent. He was worried because the government home inspector was coming Monday morning and there were several things the home needed. Jesus is very resourceful and he had already done things like get all bedroom windows operational as most had been painted shut over the years. I think my tour with him helped calm his fears somewhat - then we went to grab lunch. After a hearty lunch I took him home and met his three kids again -- Josh, Jackie and Jo-el - all very friendly and attractive teens. My heart aches for these kids - they are just at the absolute bottom right now. They love school - but they have nothing else to speak of. I chatted with Jackie a bit and told her she would love high school next year as she'll start her freshman year in a few weeks. Jesus and I worked up a bit of a game plan and I left to get back to work.

Even though this project stripped out about three hours of my day - I took opportunity to call a couple of employers to get some feedback from them on getting Jesus employed full-time - that is priority number 1. I'm a bit puzzled why this has taken him so long to get a job since he's a very a smart, resourceful man and a hard worker. But, you factor in 1) no transportation; 2) no local contacts; 3) and, parenting three teens full-time - and your day gets shot in a hurry.

Later that evening I took Mike - a good friend and elder in my church - to visit the DeLeon's to get his perspective. More on that later.

No comments: