Saturday, June 24, 2006

Bren, Bryan and a Million Hits

Last things first...

Receiving a million views or hits on your blog is a bit staggering to me - incomprehensible is more like it. I just looked at my viewer profile counter - 1,033 hits in about 15 months - probably well above average for the Joe Blogger out there. I post comments on several big time blogs - and people bump over and check me out - no biggie. But, I think my total comment count might be in double digits now - just barely.

But...as I type, Mike Cope's blog counter is spinning like a turnstile at a U2 concert - and will pass one million visits today at some point. Staggering. Just for grins -- I did a page "refresh" after stepping away from my computer while on Mike's blog. The count increased like 47 hits in 10 minutes - wow!

I consider Mike the godfather of bloggers for those in my denomination - the churches of Christ. Even though he wasn't the first, he is clearly the biggest. His site is here:
http://www.preachermike.com/

Mike gave a link one day to Bren Hughes blog - Piercing the Membrane. I read Bren's post - and immediately liked his style and felt a connection there. Bren oozes coolness. He's a theology grad student, member of an alternative rock band, and has a limited concern for making a buck tomorrow - all coolness to me. Bren takes a ministry position in Florida in a few weeks after getting a bit of a cold shoulder from the upper-crust seminary PHD programs. No biggie to Bren, he'll take the gig and try back later. I felt honored that me mentioned me by name as a "reader" of his - which I am. Bren's blog is here:

http://www.brenhughes.blogspot.com/

Lastly, my friend Bryan Tarpley is also a younger guy I think like. He actually thinks quite a bit more than I - so maybe I enjoy reading what he thinks about. Bryan and I go to church together behind the pine curtain of deep east Texas. I stumbled across his post on gregkendallball's blog. Greg is a unique, loose-cannon-ish kind of guy that gets lots of chatter going. I linked to Bryan's name - yep, it was my friend Bryan. He's teaching a class at our church now and Bryan and his family will likely end up being missionaries in Latin America soon. Here's his site:

http://www.teamarequipa.net/blog/bryan/

A million hits - hard to comprehend. I''ll bet it's close - I'll go take a peek.

3 comments:

Bryan Tarpley said...

Kent,

Wow man! Thanks for linking to me from your site. It thrills me to think of blogs and there potential impact on the CfC. Historically I've come to find out that the CfC relied on journals like the Gospel Advocate to plug people in to the major conversations concerning our group. We lost that tradition, and for the last few decades it seems like the churches have grown increasingly disconnected from each other except for the universities. My hope is that blogs begin to serve that purpose once again, only in a much more informal, personal way. I enjoy reading about how you minister to real people in your life and I pray that God blesses you in your offering yourself up as that "lightening rod" :)

preacherman said...

Can't imagine 1,000,000 hits on my blog.
Insane.
What a wonderful way to get your message out to others.
Congratulations on hitting over 1,000 on your blog.
I'm not there yet but on my way...
I love Mike's blog.
He always has something great to say, something challenging, something that makes you think about what you believe. I also enjoyed reading Bryan's blog link that you posted. He has a lot of good thoughts on his blog.

KentF said...

test for links
my blog