Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Jeffrey - Part 4

Hard to believe it's been two months since I posted about Jeffrey. The last time Jeffrey came around, which was early May, I told him he really needed to not loiter around our building - I was beginning to sense this was not a good thing. It would eventually catch up with him. This was an early-May Saturday we were last speaking and I told him to come around the following Wednesday. I picked Wednesday solely because it was at least several days out - it had gotten to the point where I had really done all or most of what I could for a person that just couldn't really get moving forward - particularly in the desire category.

Well, Monday morning comes rolling around and Jeffrey comes back. I suppose he decided he would visit me - but I was out doing work in the field - so he just kind of hung around awhile. The office I rent is comprised of 4 suites which all have exterior entrances and a covered area. Jeffrey was hanging out in the covered area when another tenant called the police. The police came by pretty quickly and questioned Jeffrey. He stated he had an appointment with me. One policeman came in my office to confirm this. My assistant reported there was no appointment but that I had been helping Jeffrey some. Not surprisingly, the policeman instructed us not to help anymore - it only encouraged people like this. They gave Jeffrey a citation for loitering and told him if he came back around he would be put in jail.

I later found out Jeffrey had been hanging around the office all day Sunday as well, and I really am still not sure why. The easy answer is Jeffrey was on cruise control and had no interest in work - and there is significant truth in that. Another part I'm sure is that Jeffrey liked me. I didn't judge him and tried sincerely to help - and he liked that. But, what good I was doing Jeffrey was beyond me. In hindsight I guess I'm glad I just tried to be his friend.

Part of me also understood fully that this was a talented, but direction-less man that had been turned away countless times by all sorts of people - and he just sank into a self-pitying lifestyle that was compounded by the racism prevalent in this world. Throw in the fact that he relocated here from Houston five years ago and never developed a local contact base - and you have a perfectly healthy, bright individual essentially living on the street.

Late one evening a few nights later I saw Jeffrey walking down the street with his gear as I was heading home after another long day of work. I kept driving....I really didn't know what else to do - and that saddened me.

I haven't seen Jeffrey in over a month.

No comments: