Saturday, July 01, 2006

The Parking Space Mentality

As I write this I'm watching "the Secret" - an online movie that does a good job of detailing a popular subject referred to as the Law of Attraction. I'm a big believer in positive thinking and positive thoughts/actions, and I would recommend the Secret.

Invariably if you're listening, watching or reading on this subject, which I do a lot, some "guru" will mention the "perfect parking space" theory. This theory is....you pull into the mall or supermarket and you begin looking for a good parking space - or, one that requires limited walking on your part. The theory goes that - if you're in the right frame of mind - the perfect space will always open up for you. The guru always, and I mean always, states "it works for me 95% of the time".

In other words - this theory is - you're driving around the mall parking lot waiting for hidden forces to open up the perfect parking space for you because, frankly, you're lazy. And, the older lady right behind you looking for a close parking space because she's 80 and just can't walk very far is out of luck, right?

First, for the good part - this theory doesn't work for the guru 95% of the time. Well, I guess it actually could if the guru spends an hour driving around waiting for that perfect space. But, in reality it doesn't, it can't. BUT, to the guru, it does. It does because the guru believes it does, and, therefore he/she only chooses to remember the times it does. They blot from their memory the times it doesn't work. This is actually a good thing - focus on the good, and blot out the bad from your mind.

Now, here's a better way of thinking - to me any way.

Think "win/win" at all costs. If this activity doesn't benefit others around me - don't do it. If it is good for me and good for my fellow man - then it really is good. Outside of me being in poor health or being with an injury - taking the perfect parking space doesn't benefit others - it is only good for me. Now, obviously if passengers are with me - a pregnant wife, a small child, an elderly parent - this rule does not apply. The win/win now is that this good parking space benefits my passenger that needs it, and that other person would likely give us that space if they knew of my passengers needs.

But, if I'm alone - here is the attitude I take...

I pick the worst parking space and say this -- "I need the exercise. I'm in good shape because God has blessed me, because I'm energetic, and because I make the committment to good health and physical well-being. And, I choose to give up the good parking space to my fellow man that needs it much more than I do."

Try it. I guarantee you that you will go into the mall or supermarket with a good or better attitude than you would if you tried to "manifest" the perfect parking space for you.

Give and it will be given back in abundance. That is a law you can take to the bank.

No comments: