Monday, April 24, 2006

Jesus (Hay-zeus) DeLeon

As I noted in my last post, Jesus and I struck up a conversation as I was waiting on Jeffrey to fill out some paperwork at the unemployment office. Jesus was a warm man, very open for direct and heart-felt conversation. He had walked about 40 minutes to the unemployment center and had done so numerous times over the past few months. Fortunately, Jesus (a single parent) and his three children had housing. They had been living in Beaumont for a few years - Jesus was working with several of his brothers in a family painting business.

Then came Hurricane Rita. The storm spared Jesus, his family and their home, but not his only vehicle - it was gone and insurance wasn't covering it. The DeLeon's had made it to a Lufkin shelter barely ahead of Rita, and Jesus was skilled enough to secure FEMA-paid housing for his family. But, he hasn't found work. No, he feels he can't go back to Beaumont and his family business. He will start anew. He is a fine painter and drywall repair-person, but everyone with a job requires you get to the job site on your own - and Jesus has no car....

Our conversation was interrupted by a case worker. She informed Jesus he had come on the wrong day - his meeting was not until the next day. "No problem" Jesus stated, "I'll come back tomorrow". I quickly asked him "what now"? He shrugged and suggested he would simply walk home and then walk around this afternoon in a ongoing quest for work.

I went and informed Jeffrey I'd be back. He wasn't thrilled as his life's belongings were in the back of my truck. I told him not to worry - I'd be back - I don't know if he believed me or not. I took Jesus home and told him I'd be back tomorrow at the same time to give him a ride back to the unemployment office. He said he really wasn't looking for a lot of help - just a job. I said I wanted to help my find a job.

I came back the next day and Jesus was gone. I drove all the way to the unemployment office looking for him walking - but no Jesus. A few days later and I've gotten too busy to go visit Jesus. I need to find him and help him - it's really making me uneasy knowing Jesus wants so desperately to provide for his family. I wished I had a car to loan him or give him.

I'm working on it, and God is working on me.

No comments: