Thursday, April 27, 2006

Jeffrey Part 3

Jeffrey and I left the Workforce center, aka the Unemployment office, around 11 am. I talked him into letting me take him to the Salvation Army. I introduced him to the captains - Mario and Lola - told him to eat lunch with them and hang out and I'd be back. About mid-afternoon I picked Jeffrey up and took him to Godtel. He mumbled to me earlier in the day he had tried Godtel and didn't like their "rules". Godtel is our only homeless shelter in Lufkin, which is pretty sobering really. We have a shelter for abused women and a few other little operations, but they are tough to get into - and that means trouble for homeless people.

Yes, Godtel does have fairly strict rules. Mandatory Bible study at 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.; required job searching all day long; and, inside and ready for bed by 9 p.m. After 17 years, Martin the Director, knows what does and doesn't work at Godtel, so I certainly respect his rules and understand full well as he does that many simply can't abide by any rules. I talked Jeffrey (and Martin) into giving it another try.

During the day I talked with an African American friend James, a successful local businessman that has lots of social worker skills. Wednesday morning Jeffrey came calling again, so I loaded him up and took him to see James. Jeffrey warmed to this setting in James' office moreso than I had seen before. James began a probing conversation that was really nothing short of amazing - trying to determine what was really going on in Jeffrey's life.

Well, to cull a two hour conversation down into a few words - James finally got a phone number out of Jeffrey and called it. The person on the other end was Jeffrey's father. James found a caring man who preceded to unlock alot of hidden-ness Jeffrey was unwilling to talk about. Jeffrey has a mother and father living here locally who work hard at their business and have exhausted all possibilites trying to discover "what's wrong with Jeffrey". They finally asked him to leave the house, and he's been here, there and everywhere for a few years now. It was sobering knowing he's not only a mystery to me, but also to his own father. One fact we learned that didn't surprise me one bit -- Jeffrey is only a few hours shy of a college degree.

I learned alot through this process I'll write more on later. James and I bonded through it and I've joined a local task force on racism. More thoughts later.... and, another update on Jeffrey.

2 comments:

Shawn White said...

very interesting story so far. i hope you are able to help jeffrey get pointed back in the right direction and hopefully he will stick it out at Godtel.

shawn

KentF said...

Thanks Shawn - I hope so as well.