Friday, April 21, 2006

Jeffrey Part 2

Monday morning rolled in and there was Jeffrey at a few minutes before 8 knocking on my office door. I met him outside - we chatted uncomfortably for a few minutes....the area was beginning to bustle as Monday mornings do - people looking oddly at me talking to a poorly dressed man with his gear surrounding us. I told Jeffrey to let me make a few calls and come back to see me in two hours.

What to do...who to call....I called my state representative's office - who happens to be a good friend and co-deacon at my church thankfully, but he was in special session. I called the Workforce Center/Unemployment Office; called our local shelter - Godtel; called a local Christian service organization that does great work - Love Inc.; and, made a few other attempts at what to do - the question of the morning. To say this morning rocked my typical Monday morning schedule was an understatement of huge proportions.

A co-worker came in and said there was a homeless man behind our building brushing his teeth. Good Lord, I thought, I need to act now. I went out back, and told Jeffrey to come with me.

As we headed toward the Workforce center I began the first of numerous conversations with Jeffrey. He was very quiet, mumbled most of his responses and generally acted in a peculiar way that obviously played a part in him being on the street, and having spent a good deal of time there over the past 3 to 4 years.

We arrived at the Workforce center and I began helping Jeffrey get into "the system". He seemed somewhat interested in the process. An hour later, he headed back to meet with a counselor and I sat down - absolutely exhausted for a Monday morning at 9:00.

Jesus (Hay-zues) was seated next to me and he immediately struck up a conversation. In a thick, but clear and understandable Spanish accent - "hey, what about those tornadoes, man?" Jesus and I quickly were in a warm conversation. Our conversation would likewise take a turn toward the weird. Wow - so much excitement for a Monday morning - I can't handle it. Stay tuned for Jesus......

No comments: