Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Jesus (Hay-zeus) Part 8

About a week ago I dropped by Jesus' house to see about taking Jackie shopping. Jackie, Jesus' 14 year old daughter, just started high school this week. Jackie is a cute, shy girl living with a single dad who has struggled financially all of her life, and two brothers. I dropped by and caught Jesus just getting off work, tired and hot, but in a warm mood. I had talked to Jesus the previous day about this possible shopping trip. I asked him again about scheduling the Saturday shopping trip and we agreed 4 pm would be a good pick-up time. As we were chatting alone, I asked Jesus what Jackie thought of the shopping trip and he said she wasn't too excited about it. I can understand that - a teenager is going to be more sensitive to poverty than a 6 year old. She was just generally nervous about people she really didn't know making too much over her not having plenty of school clothes.

Well, the set-up could not have been better. Susan and I would pick up Jackie, go back to our house and let her pick out a new school pride t-shirt and then Susan, Jackie, our daughter Macey and a friend, would head out. We arrived at Jesus' house a little before 4, and... no one was home. We knocked, walked around the house, and waited several minutes - and then finally left. I was beyond disappointed, just really bummed out. Susan and I both agreed this is typical, unfortunately - people's plans change - or they changed their mind on the whole thing. My guess is Jesus' mother came up from Beaumont and took Jackie, Joel and Josh back to Beaumont to shop - I hope that is the case. I haven't called back - and I'm still bummed about it.

No comments: