Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Jesus (Hay-zeus) Part 6

Well, hard to believe it's been a couple of weeks. In reality this could be Jesus Parts 6, 7 and 8 - there has been so much going on lately. Jesus and his family got moved in to their new home - a significant step up for them. I never thought I'd say this - it reflects my continued transformation from conservative Republican to moderate Democrat - but thank God for rent subsidy programs. In a perfect world we could keep these tax dollars and the church could help subsidize poor people's rent - but the church, in my opinion, is too wrapped up in membership consumerism these days - another post for another day.

Jesus has continued his quest in landing a job at Temple Inland. It is amazing how much more difficult this process is than it would seem. He finished up a second interview yesterday with them. A little mind-numbing to me that a hard, hot manual labor sawmill-type job would require two to three interviews - what in the world do you question or discuss after awhile?

I directed Jesus to my good friend and state representative Jim McReynolds' office a few days ago and Jesus had an informative conversation with Susan there. Jim's link is below:

http://www.house.state.tx.us/members/dist12/mcreynolds.htm


Susan called me back and we chatted for several minutes. The general topic of the conversation was -- is Jesus really seeking out employment as desperately as he should be? I don't know - but I know he desperately wants a good job that pays the bills, and I also know he's terribly frustrated by the plight of his poverty right now.

In the midst of my busy schedule over the past two weeks and this rather dismal thought of Jesus' desire for work - I had a big breakthrough yesterday. I was sitting by a couple of friends at a weekly Lions Club luncheon, and Jay, the warehouse operations manager for Brookshire Brothers - a major employer in the area - informed me after I asked that he was definitely looking to hire right now. Wow - amazing how news like that will brighten your outlook!

I ran Jay's contact info. by Jesus last night - and we both got excited about it. I was also thrilled that Jesus had taken my prompting and went and got telephone service. I told him I would front his cost until he became employed - but we really didn't discuss money then. He also had a new, but quite old, truck in his driveway - a semi-gift from his parents in Beaumont. He has no money for gas or insurance now - but that is still a huge plus right now to have transportation available.

The boys, Josh and Jo-el were doing well and Jackie, the daughter, remains in Beaumont with grandparents - which troubles me - but I can't start letting things totally out of my control like that bother me.

I'm feeling much better today about Jesus' outlook today. He has a decent home, food, a phone, potential transportation, and - most importantly - hopefully he gets in touch with Jay - and lands a job at Brookshire Brothers.

No comments: