Monday, May 23, 2005

Picking Up Sticks & Other Major Offenses

Numbers 15:32-36 (from the NCT), 32When the Israelites were still in the desert, they found a man gathering wood on the Sabbath day. 33Those who found him gathering wood brought him to Moses and Aaron and all the people. 32They held the man under guard, because they did not know what do to with him. 33Then the Lord said to Moses “The man must surely die. All the people must kill him by throwing stones at him outside the camp.” 33So all the people took him outside the camp and stoned him to death, as the Lord commanded Moses.

I met this obscure man last week. His name? I don't have a clue, but he leapt out at me as I was plodding through (sorry, just an honest reaction) the book of Numbers in the Old Testament in my Two Year Bible. I've been reading a One or Two Year Bible for over 15 years, and, I'll be brutally honest. Long about Leviticus I've been known to skim here or there -- and I was definitely in skim mode when this guy jumped out and way-laid me. My initial reaction was - wow - that was brutal. Did God really do that?

Thank God for the grace of the Cross. I've done far worse than pick up sticks for hot tea on the Sabbath.

This contrasts so strongly with the woman caught in the act of adultery (John 8). The Jewish leaders had Jesus dead to rights on this one - slam dunk - he's toast. How can He not condemn this woman? Both - committing adultery and working on the Sabbath - were punishable by death. But - how fair were the two laws? The man was picking up wood for a meal for his family - a ticky-tack foul at best. She was picking up a married man.

No real answers here - only questions and awe - the shock and awe of an undeserved grace.

Heaven came down and the grace of God loves me the sinner despite my ongoing sin. His grace is shown to me even though justice would surely say otherwise. Jesus’ love for this woman moves beyond justice. Will we allow ourselves to understand this level of grace, or can we understand it?

Sure took me out of skimming mode. Wonder what else I missed last week.

2 comments:

Joe Cook said...

So here is the question: Is God the same since before creation? If so, how well does Jesus represent Him? Or, what changed?

KentF said...

Joe - we've probably both heard the fire and brimstone sermon before about God being the same yesterday, today and forever. And, then we see where it appears Moses and others changed His mind more than once. I dunno - as you stated better than I - it is a mystery; He is a mystery.

I do believe God saw this guy picking up sticks in Numbers at the same time He saw Jesus on the cross. One aspect of His providence is He sees time on a different plane than we do. Does that mean He changed - or do we think He changed based on our woefully weak inconsistencies we think we see in the Bible? :-)

Believe it or not - this was my general outline in a Bible class I taught Sunday morning. I left scratching my head - not sure about anyone else.