Wednesday, May 11, 2005

The heart of the matter

The more I read the story of Jesus the more I realize he had absolutely no interest in any issue outside the heart, and the religious people around him had no interest in any issue or thought inside the heart.

Last night at my local health club I over-heard a young lady state to her friend "I'm getting married on the beach, as far away from a church as possible. We'll stick a cross in the ground so we can say God is there."

I think most folks are generally turned off by religion, or certainly by over-bearing religion. I don't think people are turned off by God or Jesus, it's the promoters of God that get in the way.

Jesus went to the core or heart of the matter in his dealings with people. Yet the burning questions posed by the religious of his day were concerned about keeping a day holy or what happens when a brother's wife dies, or how much one should be taxed by the government. Details were the rule of the day.

As minister and fellow blogger Joe Cook asked today - why do we get so wrapped up what happens in a building 4 hours out of the week when it's the other 164 hours we need so much help with?

In my heart I know Jesus is minimally concerned with how church is done if it all, and is very concerned with the condition of our heart.

No comments: