Tuesday, July 01, 2008

My favorite City

In the words of Willie Nelson - Hello walls.... as my blogging friends are long dispersed.

It was so wonderfuly to see my college daughter, Megan, at ACU this past weekend. As happy as I was there - it saddens me I don't get to Abilene, my hometown, more often. I realize the six hours between Lufkin and Abilene - coupled with my heavy workload - means we won't witness much of her college life. And, it means I just won't see my parents or my hometown friends much.

I miss Abilene. I miss big church with big Accapella singing. I miss young Christians on fire for change and for Christ. I miss the people and church of Abilene.

And, I guess I even miss alot of the city of Abilene. What would my favorite city look like? It would look a lot like Abilene. But, it would be further east in the Winter, and further north in the Summer. And, the water would be so much softer, and tastier. In the end, I don't know if perfect weather, or traffic, or work, or water matters. Maybe it does - I've never lived in a perfect city. Maybe I tend to miss those things that I can't change.

But, I do miss home.

No comments: