Thursday, September 07, 2006

The Church with a Choice

Nice ring to it. No, really, it is and does have a nice ring. Our local, very popular Methodist church had this slogan on it's sign today. I have no real problem with it. I also have no problem with this church having a gym complete with changing/work-out areas; a separate facility just for youth worship, and a multitude of other space.

But (you knew a but was coming) - I wonder if this is what the church has become in 2006? Has it become primarily, or exclusively a place where the Christian customer can be filled with his/her "choice" of vendor services? Nice digs, nice choices, nice song selection, nice temperature, nice provision of consumer services for the local church-goer? What exactly is a missional church, and is "choice" anywhere near a Top 10 list for such a church? My good minister friend Mark Love has an excellent article discussing the missional church of today. Choice is o.k. - in moderation; Missional is Jesus. Here is the article .

2 comments:

Agent X said...

I've been chewing on your previous post and have not come up with a comment yet. And here you got a new one I can't keep out of.

I am reading a powerful book again, called Colossians Remixed:Subverting the Empire.

I read it about 5 times last year. It changed my life like no other. It get under your skin, exposes your little idols etc. Very scary book for an American Christian to read. One of my preacher friends read it and then came into our bookstore and gushed for half an hour about how he stayed up all night crying and repenting after reading it.

Here is one of the spicy quotes on consumeristic choice:

Globalization isn't just an aggressive stage in the history of capitalism. It is a religious movement of previously unheard of proportions. Progress is its underlying myth, unlimited economic growth its foundational faith, the shopping mall (physical or online) its place of worship, consumerism its overiding image, "I'll have a Big Mac and fries" its ritual of initiation, and global domination its ultimate goal.

Does it sound like you and maybe your church have been sucked into the vortex of the Economic Globalization Empire -The Bank? You cannot serve two masters. You will love the one and hate the other. Is it Mammon or Jesus? There's your choice. And once your in, youve made it.

Many blessings...

preacherman said...

Kent,
Excellent post.
I also appreciate your comments on Mike Cope's blog on this 9/11.

I enjoy your blog.
Keep up the great blogging.