Friday, March 24, 2006

In the Moment

A couple of weeks ago pro golfer Greg Owen blew it - a total choke job. Greg had a two stroke lead in the Honda Classic and was standing over a 4 foot putt on the next to last hole he needed to make the final hole a formality. Unfortunately Greg's putt missed slightly and slid a foot past the hole. He quickly went around to the other side of the hole to tap in the 1 footer - and he missed that putt too! Youch! He went on to lose the tournament on the next hole - he was obviously beyond shaken up by the complete mental meltdown. He admitted later he would likely be remembered as "the guy who choked".

This week I was reading my Sports Illustrated cover to cover - a weekley ritual I picked up from my father. A golf instructor/writer commented on Greg's meltdown with this statement - "Greg was in the tournament when he blew the putt - but he wasn't in the moment." That statement immediately made me do a double take. Being in the ______ event (fill in the blank - worship, job assignment, etc.) but not in the precise moment of that given activity. Aren't we all guilty of that. Or, worse, thinking beyond the moment - which takes the joy out of that moment. Why don't we live in the moment?

I think true Christian joy is in the moment, not the event.

1 comment:

HeartMan said...

Kent,

You make a very good point. It seems like we are never "in the moment" we are always looking ahead to what is next. I have recently been trying very hard to live in the moment with my daughters. They grow up so quickly. This past Saturday I took them to see "Curious George". We had a wonderful time and I think one of the few "in the moment" times that I have had recently. Hopefully I can incorporate that into the rest of my life as well.