Friday, September 23, 2005

Hurricane Rita

At the ripe young age of 44 I'm about to experience my first major hurricane. Rita is about 10 hours from landfall and appears she'll be crashing in between Galveston and Beaumont/Port Arthur. My prayers are really with the Port Arthur area, they are far less equipped to take this storm. It appears the eyewall will come very, very close to Lufkin and we'll get heavy winds and rain. My only real personal concerns are a couple of big oak trees near my back yard and getting water into my office. The family will hunker down and stay safe.

The uneasy feeling you get in times like this is eery. Our fair city of 35,000 appears to have doubled. There are cars, RV's, trucks everywhere with their hoods up, folks have crept through and just run out of gas. Today, Friday, Sept. 23rd, we are hoping/praying that fuel trucks make it here and get these folks up and northward before nightfall. Of course, this scenario plays out in a dozen other Texas cities as well.

I have a feeling my next post will find me with a newfound respect for hurricanes.

No comments: